Microsoft Word (MS –Word) or simply word is a product of Microsoft Corporation of the United States. It is a useful word processing software.
BASIC OPERATIONS IN MS WORD
* How to Create a New Document: Whenever you start MS – Word, it opens a new document window and gives it the name “Document 1” on the title bar.
Whenever the cursor is in the document screen you can type your text but if you have just closed a document or if the cursor is not blinking, then open a new document.
* UNDO: This command enables you reverse an action (Control + Z).
* REDO: The command allows you to repeat an action after having said undo (Control + Y)
* CUT: This command takes the selected text away from the document (Control + X). It can also be pasted anywhere by clicking where you want it, then click paste (Control + V).
* PASTE: This command means to produce (as in cut) and reproduce (depending on the context (Control +V).
CLEAR: This command deletes or removes a selected text from the document but you can undo this movement.
SELECT ALL: This command blocks all or selects the entire document text (Control + A).
FIND: This command exposes you to a dialogue box where you will see. Find tab, find what, the particular word or sentence you are looking for from that very document you opened. Under search (state whether all i.e. entire document down or up) after which you say find text (Control + F).
SAVE: This command saves a document in the computer memory (Control + S).
PRINT: This command instructs the computer to give you the hard copy (printed copy) of your document with help of a dialogue box where you can set printer name, page range, number of copies, collate (123, 123, 123) order or non-collate (111, 222, 333) order, print what, you can also click option to set the print command, properties which allow you to view another dialogue box where you can perform various operations. Order paper tabs – paper sizes, orientation graphics tab-dithering intensity darkest or lightest (Control + P).
CLOSE: This command retires or return the screen to the desktop i.e. it closes the application in question (Alt + F4).
COPYING AND PASTING TEXTS
i) Type the word “Lagos is in Nigeria”
ii) Select “Lagos”
iii) Go to the standard tool bar and click on the copy icon
iv) Click on the paste button
These are buttons, which help you to send a word or group of words to a specific location on the page.
* Type the word “centre of excellence”
* Select them
* Go to the text format bar and click on align button centre.
This displays a dialogue box from which you select a file and merge with your current document.
CHECKING SPELLING AND GRAMMAR
To check spellings
(i) To check spellings
(ii) Click on the tools menu
(iii) Select the desire options e.g. lagos, change add
To check grammar
(i) Click on the tool menu
(ii) Select grammar