Rights are the privileges given to a person to enjoy by the virtue of being a citizen of a particular state or country. These are privileges which the law of the nation gives to individuals.
They are the natural rights and privileges stated in the constitution of the country that every citizen must enjoy.
Responsibilities are duties or obligations which citizens perform as mandated by the constitution. They are obligations which government imposes on individuals to perform for effective development of the country.
TYPES OF RIGHTS
1) Rights to Life: Every citizen have the right to live without any hindrance. Without this right to life other rights cannot be enjoyed.
2) Right to Ownership of Property: This implies that individuals are free to acquire properties by all legal means without any hindrance.
3) Right to Education: It is the right of every citizen to seek education and be educated.
4) Freedom of Expression: All humans are free to express their feelings without any censor. This right is valid so long as the expression does not constitute a libel or slander against other individuals.
5) Right to Security: Every citizen is entitled to security and should be free of injury from other individuals.
6) Right to Freedom of Religion and Association: Every citizen is free to practice any religion of their choice and join any association.
7) Right to Vote and be Voted for during an Election: It is an inalienable right of every citizen to perform their franchise during an election if such individual have not been convicted by a law court in the past.
8) Right to Movement and Right to Work: Individuals are free to migrate to any part of the country they desire and earn a modest living.
TYPES OF RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Citizens must pay taxes and other government revenue and levies.
2) Every citizens must obey rules and regulations guiding their community, state and nation.
3) All Citizens must vote during election.
4) Respect the national symbols.
5) Citizens must obey and respect people in political offices e.g. The President
6) Government properties must be protected.
POSSIBLE CONFLICTS IN THE EXERCISE OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Manipulation of power by few people.
2) Abuse of rights.
3) Ignorance on the path of people.
4) Lack of acceptability from the people.
REASONS FOR CURTAILMENTS OF RIGHTS
People’s rights are curtailed for the following reasons.
1) Committing of Suicide: The first basic right of any individual is right to life. An individual loses every right upon committing suicide.
2) Political influence is a reason why people’s right are curtailed. An individual with political influence will shortage others as a result on his political connections.
3) Instability in people’s emotion
4) Individual’s interests and wishes.
NEED FOR CITIZENS TO PERFORM THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES
1) It enables government to provide social amenities. For example when every working citizen pay their taxes government will have revenue to provide affordable health care, good roads, electricity, education etc.
2) To create conducive environment and peaceful co-existence. It is every citizen’s responsibility to keep the environment clean. By so doing it forestalls the outbreak of major diseases.
3) To give room for good governance and equal representation into political offices.
4) The performance of responsibilities creates room for economic development and social development of the country.
5) It allows the country to relate with international bodies and government of other countries.