Responsible parenting is the proper care of a child by parents. It is when parents play their role as parents adequately.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PARENTHOOD AND PARENTING
Parenthood is the ability to have a child. It is the state of producing children and the fact that every reproductive organs of the body is performing their functions.
While parenting is the fact and ability to care for the children produced. It is the act of providing and caring for the well being of the child. It is when parents can adequately provide moral and financial support to the children.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARENTS
1) The parents provide security for the children against external forces.
2) The parents give moral training by teaching norms of the society to the children.
3) Parents provide clothes and shelter to the children.
4) Parents give good education and health care to the child whenever necessary.
5) The parents are responsible in comforting the child and giving moral support to the child when needed.
CONSEQUENCES OF IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTING
Lack of parental care or any form of irresponsibility from the parents to the child could result to the following.
1) Physical and emotional abuse of the child by another person.
2) It could bring about negative influence from peer groups and friends.
3) Irresponsible parents could make the child not to have good value for their culture and tradition.
4) Irresponsible parenting could make the child not have good education or drop out from school.
5) It can make the child develop negative deviant behaviours such as prostitution, drug addiction and stealing.
PREVENTING AND MANAGING PARENT–CHILD CONFLICT
1) Parents could prevent and manage parent–child conflict by adequately providing financial support to their children.
2) Parents should allow children have freedom in expressing their mind.
3) Parents should respect the rights of the child.
4) Parents should respect the views of children on issues that concern them.
5) There should be good communication and mutual understanding among parent and children.
6) Parents should guide all social activities of their children and give constructive criticism.
7) Parents should guide children spiritual and moral training.
WAYS BY WHICH CHILDREN CAUSE THEIR PARENTS TO BE IRRESPONSIBLE
1) Parents may decide not to be responsible for a child when such child consistently not trust the view of their parents on issues.
2) Lack of respect for the parents for a child.
3) Bad influence which are copied from friends and peer group.
4) Influence of bad foreign ideas and culture.
5) When children challenge the supremacy and authority of their parents.