RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD: This refers to the situation in which parents effectively carry out their duties towards their children. It refers to parents being able to take care of their children, and being able to bring them up so well that they grow to be responsible adult member of the society. It equally means parenting with unconditional love. It is costly, tasking and time demanding as parents have to sacrifice a lot to keep a close tab on their children. But the reward of responsible parenting is very great.
ROLES OF RESPONSIBLE PARENT
1) Providing for the household financial needs: It is the responsibility of the parents (most especially the father) to look for money to keep the family.
2) Caring for the family: The parents (father and mother) must prove that they are responsible by caring emotionally for the children.
3) Giving the children education: Responsible parents are expected to give the children qualitative education at home and school.
4) Accommodation: It is the duty of the parents to provide accommodation for their children.
5) Cultural training: Responsible parents are expected to train their children cultural heritage. Let them know the customs and traditions.
6) Health and safety: Parents are to look after the health of their children and ensure their safety at all times.
7) Earn their respect and discipline them: Responsible parents are to make sure that their children give them due respect. When they are wrong, discipline them but should not be too hard on them.
8) Providing love, care and affection to help them grow into their unique selves.
IMPORTANCE OF RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD
1) It brings about responsible citizenry: When a responsible parent trains up a child, such child will most likely turn out to be a responsible citizen.
2) It leads to reduction in crime rate: Children from good home who are trained by responsible parents know that crime does not pay.
3) It makes a nation to be healthy: A nation that is crime free will enjoy peace and progress.
4) The people of such country will be emotionally balanced. People who are emotionally balanced will think well and produce good product.
5) The nation will excel among other nations when children are properly brought up by responsible parents and they yield to training, they will definitely bring glory to such nation.
6) It will enable the children to know their rights in the society.
7) It enhances cooperation and communal efforts, which help in national development.
8) It reduces conflicts and confusion and finds solutions to conflicts.