WHY LEADERS FAIL TO PROTECT THE INTEREST OF THEIR FOLLOWERS
1) Selfishness: It is a situation where a leader does not care about the needs of other people but about himself and things that will favour him.
2) Party Interest: This is a situation whereby the interest of the party is placed above the views of other people on an issue irrespective of the benefits of the popular view of the citizens.
3) Wrong Orientation: In developing countries like Nigeria, politics is seen as a quick way to success rather than avenue to serve people.
4) Lack of Vision: Majority of political office holders lack the vision to serve the interest of the citizens.
HOW LEADERS CAN PROTECT THE INTEREST OF THEIR FOLLOWERS
1) Selflessness: The leader who will protect the interest of their followers will not be selfish. He will put the interest of the followers above personal interest.
2) Put Interest of the People above Party Interest: The interest of the citizens is to be placed above party interest by a leader who will protect the interest of their followers.
3) Respect for the Rule of Law: The rule of law preach equality and impartiality from leader to followers. The leader should recognize that he and other citizens are equal and so treat them as being important.
4) Respect for Citizen’s Fundamental Human Right: A good leader should respect and protect the fundamental human rights of the citizens.
5) Embrace Constitutionalism: Constitutionalism says that leaders are to rule according to the constitution. A leader who wants to protect the interest of his followers must respect the constitution and rule accordingly. The constitution protects the fundamental human rights of the citizens.