Popular participation is the act of taking active part in political activities publicly or in a way that is enjoyed by a large number of people.
It could also be described as the process where all citizens irrespective of their financial, marital, social status, religious and political beliefs come together under political parties to determine who governs them at various levels.
TYPES OF POPULAR PARTICIPATION
1) Voting in an Election: It is the civic responsibility of every qualified citizen to register and vote in an election to elect those who will govern them.
2) Holding of Public Office: This will give further opportunity to an individual to contribute in decision making.
3) Contesting Elections: Another way one can participate in political activity is to stand as a candidate in an election.
4) Supporting Political Party: An individual can equally support political party financially even as a non-card carrying member.
5) Registering as a Political Party Member: Registering as a card-carrying member of a political party.
6) Protest and Demonstration against Government Policy: A citizen is participating in political activity if he/she participates in protest or demonstration against the obnoxious policy of the government.
7) Observatory Political Participation: This is the act of watching and discussing about political activities as an observer. They are not card carrying member of any political party nor participate in voting.
NEED FOR POPULAR PARTICIPATION
1) Popular participation will help to link the wide gap between the ruler and the ruled.
2) The activities of civil society help in bringing out the best political leader in the society.
3) The civil society serves as watchdog of the government thereby promoting good governance.
4) Popular participation in the society helps to correct inequalities based on sex, age and colour in the society.
TRADITIONAL AND MODERN MODES OF POPULAR PARTICIPATION
TRADITIONAL POPULAR PARTICIPATION
This refers to the empowerment of people to effectively involve themselves in the development and transformation of the traditional society. At the traditional level, there are structures such as the age group, women group, the youth, traditional chiefs etc. Each of this group participates in the share of the duties and responsibilities in the upkeep and smooth running of the community. For example, during community festival, each group will be involved and participate to ensure they have a wonderful festival.
MODERN MODE OF POPULAR PARTICIPATION
This refers to the involvement of the civil society organization or Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in the development and transformation of the modern civilized society. These groups are more reformed than the traditional groups. In modern mode of participation, people of different background, sex and age come together to form association in order to protect their members, maintaining professional standard and voice out their opinions on any perceived injustice whether from government or its agents even from other associations.