Apathy means the feeling of not being interested in or enthusiastic about anything. Therefore, political apathy is defined as lack of interest in taking active part in politics either by voting or being voted for or having no share in political activities.
CAUSES OF POLITICAL APATHY
1) Bad Governance: This is a situation whereby those in power refuse to govern the country properly. This could mean incompetence in leadership style, embezzlement or mismanagement of public funds.
2) Unfilled Electoral Promises: When people who are voted refuse to fulfill their electoral promises made during electioneering campaign.
3) Electoral Malpractices: The act of influencing people in a dishonest way in order to win election. It could be through buying electoral officers, vote buying and ballot box snatching. This could cause discouragement and lead to apathy.
4) God Fatherism and Thuggery: When powerful influence of political lords are in action to handpick and impose candidates to win elections at all cost. They end up engaging thugs to achieve their aim.
5) Inherited from Disinterested Parents: Some parents pass their lack of interest in political activities to their children.
6) The Nature of Playing Politics: Where Politics is played with acrimony and bitterness could make some people to shy away from political activities.
7) Religion, Doctrines or Beliefs: Some people are forced by religious constraints to develop political apathy. E.g. a woman among the Muslim group that is kept in purdah.
CONSEQUENCES OF POLITICAL APATHY
1) Political apathy leads to bad government. As this may cause those not qualified to be in power.
2) It leads to the emergence of thugs and greedy politician emerging as leaders.
3) It causes lack of communication between the government and the citizens.
4) Political apathy brings about denial of political information and education. Due to the fact that a wide gap exists between the ruler and the ruled.
5) It will make government behave anyhow since people are not interested in what they are doing, then they can do whatever pleases them.
HOW TO FIGHT POLITICAL APATHY
1) Knowing and defending ones rights.
2) Participation in elections: Citizens should participate and defend their votes by saying no to all forms of electoral malpractices.
3) Joining popular organization: Everyone should make efforts to join and play active part in the political affairs of the country.
4) Registering and getting voter’s card: Qualified adults should register to vote and should not sell their card or surrender it to anyone.
5) Reading political literature: Citizens should imbibe the attitude of reading political literature and watching political documentaries of great leaders such as Dr.Martin Luther King (Jnr), Chief Obafemi Awolowo etc.
6) Developing a right attitude to public governance.
7) Thinking of how to contribute positively to the growth and development of the nation.
For further reading visit Wikipedia