Network or networking is a system where a group of computers and other communication devices are inter linked to facilitate communication among users and permit resource to be shared.
ADVANTAGES OF NETWORKING
1) It allows data to be shared
2) It enables hardware to be shared with another hardware
3) It makes communication possible
TYPES OF NETWORKS
* LOCAL AREA NETWORK (LAN): It is a group of computer confined to a single location. Typically one building complex.
* METROPOLITAN AREA NETWORK (MAN): It is a network that covers entire city.
* WIDE AREA NETWORK (WAN): A WAN is a network that is spread over wide area, like across cities, states or countries.
* NETWORK TOPOGRAPHY: It refers to the shape and the management or arrangement of the network.
There are five main topologies
1) Star Network Topology: In Star network all cables run from the computers to a central location where all are connected to a device called HUB or SWITCH.
2) Token Ring Network Topography: This is the type of computer network in which all computers are arranged in a circle or ring.
3) Bus Network Topology: It is commonly called Bus. Multi-point topology is a network where basically one single cable is used from one end of the network to the other end with different networks Nodes.
4) Tree Network Topography: It combines multiple star topologies together with a bus topography in its simplest form. Only hub devices connect directly to the tree bus and each hub or switches function as the roots of a tree of the devices.
5) Mesh Topology: This involves the idea of routes (paths) unlike each of the previous topologies, messenger sent on a mesh paths from source to the destination.
1) HUB: It makes messages pass directly from the nodes to the hubs.
2) MODEM: It is used to bring internet facilities to the network devices.
3) SWITCH: It connects networking system.
4) ROUTER: The movement of messages from the Nodes to hubs is the work of routers.
5) Network Interface: It connects various devices together.
WORLD WIDE WEB (WWW)
It is referred to as the web, which graphical interface use to navigate and access the internet.
WWW is a collection of web pages that contain text, images and multimedia content interconnected through hypertext.
iii) Web page
iv) Home page
BENEFIT OF WWW
i) You can open other document by using link in a web document.
ii) You can view text and graphic, listen to music and watch video clips.
iii) You can have web documents that allows users to interact with application through box and forms.
CABLE AND CONNECTORS
Types of computer cable and connector
i) Power cable
ii) Data cable
iii) Monitor cable
iv) Serial cable (USB)
i) Male connector
ii) Female connector