LEADERSHIP: Leadership is the process of motivating, directing, controlling and influencing people to perform some tasks or duties. It is the ability of a leader in the society and any organization to motivate and influence his followers to perform their duties. Leadership refers to the position and process of achieving set goals through a leader.
FOLLOWERSHIP: Followership is the act of performing duty allocated to a person in an organization. It is a group of people in the society or organization that take instruction from a leader in order to achieve set goals. Followers are group of people that follows a leader and take direction or control from a leader to perform a particular task.
QUALITIES OF A LEADER
1) Honesty: A leader must be honest towards his position.
2) Discipline: He/she must be a disciplined person. A leader must be able to caution himself in all his dealings.
3) Punctuality: He/she must be punctual to office and duty allocated to him/her.
4) Emotionally Stable: He/she must be mentally and emotionally stable.
5) Dedication: He/she must be dedicated and loyal to his/her people and society.
6) Self Confidence: He/she must have self confidence in his activities.
QUALITIES OF A FOLLOWER
1) A follower must possess spirit of cooperation.
2) A follower must be law abiding.
3) He/she must be honest.
4) A follower must be committed to his duty.
5) He/she must be loyal to their leader.
6) He/she must understand the differences among people.
KIND OF LEADERS
1) Traditional leader such as the Oba, Igwe, Title Chiefs etc
2) Political Leader: President, governor, councilor, party chairman etc
3) Charismatic Leader: A public commentator such as Martin Luther King etc.
A leader can develop different leadership styles in directing and controlling his people such as;
1) Democratic Style: It is when a leader seek opinion of his followers and their suggestion before taking action.
2) Autocratic Style: When a leader give instruction and directive without considering and seeking followers view and suggestion.
3) Laissez-faire: It is when a leader gives free hand to follower in decision making such that everyone operates independently.
THE ROLE OF A LEADER AND FOLLOWER IN NATION BUILDING
In building the nation, the leaders and followers must be ready to perform their respective duties. The roles of such leaders and followers are:-
i) To initiate ideas towards transforming qualities of life among his people. The followers must be willing and ready to embrace such good initiative.
ii) A leader must mobilize their members in order to perform their duties while members should co-operate together to perform any duty allocated to them.
iii) A leader must provide adequate security for member’s life and properties while on the path of the follower they must always obey the rules and regulations of the society.
iv) There should be adequate provision of basic social needs by the leader while the followers should adequately maintain the amenities provided to them by their leader.
v) Leaders and followers must ensure the maintenance of law and order and equal justice must be given to the leader and follower.