DEFINITION OF LAW AND ORDER
LAW: Law means the whole system of rules that citizens of a country or organized group of people are expected to obey.
ORDER: Order is a situation in which rules are obeyed and authority is respected.
Law and order operate when citizens do things according to the rules and regulations which are expected to ensure peace and progress in the society. When laws are not obeyed in the society, public peace is disturbed, which means that there is a breakdown of law and order.
MANIFESTATIONS OF LAW AND ORDER
1) Due Process: It involves following the rules of the game or operation in anything one does.
2) Peaceful Electioneering Campaigns: Political parties are expected to campaign for their candidates before the election according to the electoral laws. This should be done without violence.
3) Peaceful Conduct of Election: When elections are conducted peacefully and votes are counted without fear or favour, and the candidate with majority of votes are declared the winner of the election. This should not lead to breakdown of law and order.
4) Queuing Culture: The culture of organizing and maintaining queue should be imbibed in the society (at bus-stop, bank, airports etc.) if orderliness is to prevail.
5) Religious Tolerance: For peace and order, faithful’s of different religious groups should learn to tolerate the views of others and not provoke into violence.
6) Orderly conduct of examinations and avoidance of examination malpractices.
7) Listening Skills: There is need to be attentive to others in the course of a conversation or in a classroom situation.
8) Driving Skills: The need to acquire driving skills before driving any vehicle is very important.
IMPORTANCE OF LAW AND ORDER
1) Peace: When there is law and order in the society, peace reigns.
2) Progress: Where there is peace there is progress. A peaceful situation enables people to do business and earn a living.
3) Protection of Lives and Property: There will be safety of lives and property where people obey the rules and regulations.
4) Protection of Human Rights: When the laws of the land are obeyed by the people, rights of individuals can be enjoyed without being infringed upon.
5) Creative and Productive Citizens: The citizens become more creative and productive when laws and order prevail and there is peace.
6) Justice in Society: People are able to get justice in the court when law and order reign in the society.
7) Growth and Development: Peace is a product of the prevalence of law and order, which when allowed will lead to growth and development, both politically and economically.