INDIVIDUAL OBLIGATIONS IN THE FAMILY
FAMILY: The family consists of father, mother and their young ones. It is a group of people related by blood and adoption. It means a group of people that are closely related. Members of the family share common interest and legal bound by blood. It is a primary social group that enables direct control of their environment.
TYPES OF FAMILY
1) Nuclear Family: A nuclear family refers to a couple and their dependent children.
2) Extended Family: It is a family that extends beyond the nuclear family, including grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other relatives, who all live closely or in one household.
3) Compound Family: Compound family refers to a cluster of buildings in an enclosure, having a shared or associated purpose, such as the houses of an extended family.
FUNCTIONS AND IMPORTANCE OF NUCLEAR FAMILY
1) The nuclear family members have direct contact with theirselves.
2) Nuclear family is small in population and size.
3) The nuclear household can adequately provide for her members without stress.
4) Members of the family are able to train their members without much stress.
FUNCTIONS AND IMPORTANCE OF THE EXTENDED FAMILIES
1) Extended family allows inter-personal relationship among family members.
2) The extended family renders moral and financial support to members.
3) It encourages security and educates members about the importance of culture and tradition.
4) Extended family encourages reproduction of members and continuity of the family inheritance.
5) Extended family helps to bound the family together as one family member.
ROLES OF INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY
1) The father provides for the household needs such as shelter, food and clothing.
2) Mother gives moral and financial support to the household members.
3) The father and mother give moral and spiritual training to their children.
4) The children help or assist their parents in doing some domestic duties at home.
SYSTEMS OF INHERITANCE
Inheritance is the property or money you receive from your parents or family lineage when they die. Apart from property and money a person can equally inherit a title from one’s parent or lineage.
Inheritance system is based on two side, they are from the father side known as paternal inheritance and from the mother side known as maternal inheritance.
In some part of the world, a child could inherit money, title and property from both side of his/her lineage while in some part a child could only inherit from a particular side.
IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY AS AN INSTITUTION
1) It brings unity and love among people.
2) Family is a social unit of the state and nation.
3) It helps to promote co-operation and development in the society.
4) It is a social institution that brings people of different values and characters together as a body.
5) Families help to solve social problems and give moral support to members especially during crisis.
6) Families help to encourage united front to combat external forces.
7) The family as a social institution helps to foster the custom and tradition of the lineage.
IMPLICATIONS OF ABANDONING THE FAMILY
1) Abandoning the family circle could result to becoming an outcast within the family.
2) It could result to the loss of family inheritance.
3) Abandoning the family could result to conflict and disunity among members.
4) It could result to total breakdown of the culture and custom of the society.
5) Abandoning the family breeds eradication of the family name and dislocation of members.
6) At results to to loss of love, moral and financial support from members.