Computer is any device capable of accepting data automatically, applying a sequence of processes to the data and supplying the results of these processes.
TWO MAIN CONSTITUENTS OF A COMPUTER
A computer system is made up of the hardware (mechanical and electronic) devices, programming (a set of coded instructions) called software and data. It is therefore a combination of hardware, software and data.
Hardware is the name given to all the physical devices of a computer system. It includes the input devices, system unit, output devices, secondary storage devices and communication devices.
The word software is generally used to describe all programs which are used in a computer. These are normally the programs supplied by the manufacturer or special software houses. Software is the set of programmes both inside and outside the system which combine to make the system do what it is designed to do.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPUTER
1) SPEED: It has the ability to get answers fast enough so that one has time to take actions on them.
2) STORAGE: The computer has the memory unit to store data and information
3) ACCURACY: The accuracy of the computer is very high and its constituency can be relied upon.
4) VERSATILITY: Computers are capable of performing almost any task provided that the task can be reduced to a series of logical steps.
5) AUTOMATIC: Computer performs its task automatically.
6) DILIGENCE: It does not suffer from tiredness or lack of concentration.