NATION BUILDING: It is the act of using the rules and regulations, democracy of the society towards the development of such society. This is when a country utilizes all necessary resources towards the economy and political development of the country or nation. Nation Building in general is total development of the society’s democracy and social development.
CONSTITUTION: Constitution is described as the fundamental laws, customs, conventions, principles, rules and regulation to which a particular government of a country operates. It is agreed body of rules and principles stating how the powers of governing a country are given and how the powers are to be executed.
In general terms, constitution is rules and regulations that direct or control the activities, conduct of people within that particular society.
DEMOCRACY: Democracy is a form of government through which the governance is exercised through the people either directly or through representative elected into offices. It is a form of government through which the citizens of a country elect their leaders and representatives through an election.
FEATURES OF DEMOCRACY
1) Periodic election of representatives into various post.
2) Supremacy of the constitution in which case there is no citizen of the country that is above the law.
3) Formation of political parties.
4) Rule of law.
5) Rights of individual
6) Freedom of expression
7) Freedom of the press
8) Independence of the judiciary
9) Majority rule
IMPORTANCE OF CONSTITUTION IN NATION BUILDING
1) A constitution determines the organization of government, the functions and power of the government. The division of power and offices, how power are exercised and controlled.
2) Constitution gives and define the structure of the political system. It identifies if the state is unitary or federal, presidential or parliamentary.
3) It enhances peaceful co-existence among the people of the country through explicit and highlighting the constitution to all the people.
4) It allocates powers to various organs of government by minimizing abuse of powers through checks and balances.
5) The constitution upholds the rule of law, justice and individual liberty. It ensures that every citizen is equal before the law.
6) A constitution provides a sense of direction and ideology for the country. It states the goals, objectives and aspirations of the country and her people are highlighted in the constitution.
ROLES OF DEMOCRACY IN NATION BUILDING
1) Democracy give people the opportunity to enjoy political right in the country through voting of their representative.
2) Democracy provides fundamental human rights and rights of citizenship to people.
3) Democracy encourages good governance because it does not allow everlasting rulership which give satisfaction to the electorate and lead to good governance.
4) It brings governance closer to the people through the sub-division of the country into constituencies which allow grassroots participation and election of representatives into government.
REASONS WHY UNITY AND DEVELOPMENT ARE MORE SUSTAINABLE UNDER DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT
Unity and development are sustainable under democratic government because it provides room for change in government through an election. During election, citizens has political rights to elect representatives into electoral posts which provides different ideas, agenda and new manifesto that brings unity among the ethnic groups.
Democracy allows legitimacy in government. Any government elected by the people enjoys popularity and support of government decision.
Democracy helps the unity and development of the nation with the free choice of electing leaders through election. Citizens enjoy free choice of leaders and if any government rules arbitrarily people wait till another election when they will exercise their power to elect another government.
WAYS OF PREVENTING AUTOCRATIC RULE
1) Autocratic rule can be prevented through democratic election.
2) It could be prevented through impeachment of the leader by the lawmakers in the house of representative.
3) Equal representation of the ethnic group into the house of representatives ( i.e. lawmaking body).
4) Review of the nation’s constitution.